Skip to main content

Special Education Home

Office of Special Programs

A laptop sits on a desk.

Office of Special Programs

54 State Street
Middleport, NY 14105
Phone: 716.735.2025
Fax: 716.735.202

Douglas King

Special Education Administrator

Sophia Brunner

Secretary to the Office of Special Education


Office of Special Programs Staff

Kate Benedict

Speech Language Pathologist

Lisa Draper

Speech Language Pathologist

Jillian LaRose

School Psychologist

Further Information

The Office of Special Programs is responsible for providing programs and services to district students who have educational disabilities. Students suspected of having an educational disability may be referred by parents or professionals to the Committee on Special Education (CSE) or the Committee on Preschool Special Education (CPSE).  The CSE or CPSE determines if an educational disability is present, and if so, what programs and services are needed by the student to make satisfactory academic progress.

A student's special education program is tailored to meet his or her unique learning needs.  These are described in the Individualized Education Plan (IEP), which is the guiding document for special education teachers working with a student.  The district provides a variety of placement options and services, but placement is always made within the least restrictive educational environment feasible. Related services (i.e., occupational therapy, physical therapy, speech/language therapy, counseling) are provided if needed, and in conjunction with placement or on a stand-alone basis.

Special education is an integral part of the Royalton-Hartland Central School District. In an effort to maximize student progress under instruction, the Office of Special Programs collaborates with parents, other districts, agencies, and the community at large as an educational partner.


Disability Information:

Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) - from the National Institute of Health (NIH)

Video: What Is Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder? - Thomas E. Brown, PhD, discusses diagnosis, symptoms, treatment options, and medication.


Auditory Processing Disorder (APD) - information from

School Success Kit: recommendations from        


Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) - information from the National Institute of Health (NIH)

Red Flags for autism - information from the National Institutes of Health 

Video: How is Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) diagnosed? - Dr. Peter Faustino on how ASD is diagnosed and whom parents can turn to for help.


Learning Disability (LD) - information from the National Institute of Health (NIH)

Video: LD in Reading - Dyslexia and the Brain - Dr. Guinevere Eden, Georgetown University dicusses what dyslexia looks like including brain function.

Video: LD in Math / Dyscalculia Explained - Dr. Daniel Ansari, Western University describes dyscalculia.

Video: LD in Written Expression / Dysgraphia - Dr. Sheldon Horowitz, National Center for Learning Disabilities (NCLB) shares about dysgraphia. 


Speech or Language Impairment (SLI) - information from the American Speech-Language Hearing Association (ASHA)


Parent Resources:

Acronyms - resource provided by Parent Network of WNY     

Behavioral and Mental Health - website for BestSelf Behavioral Health

Calming and De-escalation Strategies - video from Dartmouth Trauma Interventions Research Center  

Early Intervention - Niagara County Early Intervention Program 

Head Start Programs - program locator, eligibility requirements and application information for children from birth to age five

Parent Resources Across Western New York -  information and referral resources provided by 211 WNY

Person Centered Services - offers care coordination for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities 

Preschool Students with Disabilities - information for parents of students with disabilities ages 3 to 5 

Procedural Safeguards Notice - describes rights related special education  

Response to Intervention (RtI) - a Parent's Guide to Response to Intervention (RtI) 

Section 504 Resource Guide - a resource guide for parents and educators from the U.S. Department of Education. 

Special Education in New York State - describes referral, evaluation, eligibility, IEP, and annual review/reevaluation process 

Transition from CPSE - describes the process involved as students age up and transition out of preschool special education


  • Information for Parents Homeschooling Their Child(ren) With a Disability

    If you plan to homeschool your child and he or she has or is suspected of having a disability, please review the below:

    - If you plan to homeschool your child who is already classified with a disability (has an IEP) and you wish him/her to continue receiving special education services, you must request those services in writing no later than June 1 before the school year in which services are to be provided. Written requests are to be addressed to the Board of Education, Royalton-Hartland Central Schools, 54 State Street, Middleport NY 14105. Please feel free to call Doug King, Special Education Administrator at (716) 735-2026 with any questions.

    - If you plan to homeschool your child who is already classified with a disability (has an IEP) and you do not wish him/her to continue receiving special education services while homeschooled, please notify the Office of Special Programs, 54 State Street, Middleport NY 14105. Please feel free to call Doug King, Special Education Administrator at (716) 735-2026 with any questions.

    - If your child is being homeschooled and is first (initially) identified as a student with a disability after June 1 and before April 1 of the current school year, you may submit your written request to the Board of Education within 30 days after your child is first identified.

    - Homeschooled students who receive special education services have an Individual Education Services Program (IESP). The IESP is developed in the same manner and with the same contents as an individualized education program (IEP). It is called an IESP to distinguish it from the IEP that would be developed if your child were reenrolled in our public school district.

    If you have any questions regarding the above, please contact Doug King, Special Education Administrator at (716) 735-2025.